What To Do in the Event of a Hate Crime
- Get medical help, if necessary
- Write down details of the crime as soon as possible after the incident. Include:
- Details of the perpetrator (gender, age, height, weight, race/ethnicity, clothes, scars, tattoos, birthmarks).
- What was said
- What was done
- Take pictures of any injuries, and the location of the incident as soon as possible.
- File a report with authorities, and notify local organizations you might have any affiliations with (LGBTQ centers, church groups, cultural or ethnic organizations).
- Find support from family, friends, or professional help from a licensed therapist or victim services.